Friday, December 4, 2020

Afternoon on the Prairie


My neighbor across the alley used to live about a mile outside of our little village. She and her late husband planted several trees on that property, many of them evergreens. She called me on Wednesday afternoon and invited me to join her out there to pick pinecones and gather boughs for Christmas decorating. This tree was planted for her husband's 50th birthday several years ago. She said it was a mere 5 feet tall when they planted it.

The weather was gorgeous for December. High 50s and sunshine, no wind. A perfect late fall day. Since there was no wind, it was quiet in a way you only get in the country. My neighbor and I chatted a bit, but mostly worked together in silence. At one point I mentioned how much I enjoyed being out there, how the quiet was so lovely. She said it was so nice to not have to talk, that this time was an appreciated escape from the stress of having to worry about current events.


It was a lovely hour spent outside, and did my heart good. We filled the box of her pickup with clippings and pinecones, and I'm going to enjoy using them to bring a little bit of the country to my house in town. 

1 comment:

  1. I miss days like that shared with friends and loved ones. Am going to have to make a point of getting back out there and doing them. Thanks for the reminder! Blessings for a beautiful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!