Last February our only daughter became engaged to her sweet boyfriend. The wedding date is set for October 20, and we’ve been busy these past several months with arrangements and making stuff.
There will be many personal touches, that while simple, are what will differentiate Jess’s and Scott’s wedding from anyone else’s. We’re DIY people, so many components for this celebration are handmade.
One of the personal touches involves using part of my wedding gown. Jessica was not interested in wearing the dress at all, and even though it was professionally cleaned after Greg and I got married, it wasn’t boxed and sealed, thus has not aged incredibly well.
May 23, 1981
While I’ve known for quite some time that I was going to disassemble the dress, when it came down to making that first cut, I had to take a deep breath. One evening late in April, I turned to my Facebook friends for support and took seam ripper in hand. The dress was taken apart in about an hour.
Here it is the next morning, in a pile on the kitchen counter. You can see the ribbon is brown and stained, though that all pretty much came out when I soaked everything in some OxyClean and cool water, then hand rinsed it all.
Though there is a nice pile of fabric and lace there, we only ended up using a tiny bit of the dress. I’ll show you tomorrow.
After the holidays I plan to use up the rest for some keepsakes that can hopefully be passed on down in our family. Awhile back I found myself in conversation with some email friends over the possibilities. A favorite choice was to make a christening gown and/or a teddy bear. Another suggestion was to make a ring bearer pillow. I’d love hear your ideas for using pieces of the gown since I still have lots of dress left to do something with.