Saturday, December 12, 2020

Chatting Family Style with Gingerbread

 We've had such a lovely long autumn season for the most part, but I think winter arrived yesterday. Our area got a few inches of snow through the day overnight. Greg had to work early this morning, so the grandkids got snow scooping duty.



Since late last spring we've done "family chat" virtually with several relatives. We started with once a week all through the summer, then when school started, we went to once a month. We started gathering using Facebook video, but now we use Zoom. Our activities for family chat vary with the season. We've cooked together, all making the same recipe at the same time, or each family making a different recipe to share with the group. We've played games, had a scavenger hunt, and done crafts. We're spread across the country in Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, and Florida. Today we had other family join us from Colorado, Arkansas, and Virginia. It was so wonderful to see all of these people!

Today was family chat day and the activity was to decorate gingerbread houses. Some of us had purchased kits, others built their own from graham crackers. I usually buy the kits after Christmas when the holiday goods are half price or less, then store them with the Christmas decorations. These kits are not always awesome, and this year was no exception. Last week I opened the boxes to check the condition of the contents, and found cracks in all, as well as some significant breakage in one. I'm glad I opened them early, so I knew I needed to make repairs in advance. I got out the hot glue gun this morning and got started. It wasn't pretty, but that broken house was solidly repaired. The next house I knew had a roof crack. It was tiny, so I anticipated just leaving it to be covered with icing. I carefully cut off the plastic wrap and viola! The entire house fell to pieces. My daughter was there when it happened and neither of us had any words. I fixed it as best I could, piecing it together like a puzzle. It looked pretty wonky, and I hoped whichever child got that one would have a good attitude about it. In hindsight I should have used a piece of cardboard under the worst part of the roof, but it all worked out okay in the end. 

Here's the set-up with everything glued together. There was a lot more candy on the kitchen counter behind the table. A LOT more.


I basically chatted with everyone while the kids and Jess worked on their houses, helping when I was asked. All I had to do was set up, then vacuum the rug under the table after. J


And here they are, all finished. They worked around the repaired parts and really enjoyed themselves. I think they did a fine job. 

It was a very fun afternoon - one I hope is a good memory for all the kids and their grown-ups. I'm already planning for next year. Not sure I'll use those kits again, though. Also, too, we're hoping to maybe have several of us actually together in the same room next time. That would be so wonderful! 

Now tomorrow I'm really going to finish decorating. 

2 comments:

  1. So much fun. You can always decorate a crack. My whole life has been decorated cracks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing from Ohio, Columbus precisely. I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August of 2010 and my wife breast cancer, A precious friend (African American) told me about Dr Jekawo A traditional herbal doctor in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my brain cancer,my wife breast cancer and herpes completely that we will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the herbal medicines preparation which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for 21 days to cure.I told Eric my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after I and my wife drinking for 21 days we were cured completely, I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with herpes or cancer to reach this great herbal doctor and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Jekawo told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[drjekawo@gmail.com] thank you so much for this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!