Sunday, August 30, 2020

Be Our Guest!

Last post, I said I'd show the "new" guest room I've been working on this summer. I did get one photo before we had a real-life guest move in for a couple of weeks. 

This is looking into the room from the doorway. It's still a work in progress, but is okay for someone to stay in. 
A couple of summers ago my nephews and niece pulled up the carpet in here. The boys spackled, and painted the walls and trim white for me. I painted the subflooring white, and put down a few small rugs. I was in a hurry to have the room livable for a weekend visit from my sister and her husband. It stayed that way until July of this year, but I was determined to not put off finishing it any longer, and pulled the flooring out from under the bed where it was stored, and got busy. 
When we took down the wall between the dining room and den, there were two different floors. We'd originally done the den in this golden-y oak-y style of laminate flooring that needed to be changed to match what we'd eventually chosen for the public areas of the house. When Greg switched that out last summer, we knew there was probably enough to do this bedroom, and he tucked it under the bed. I pulled it all out, Greg counted boards and did the math, and we had just enough, if I was really careful with my cuts. He then found another box in the garage, so we had a bit more wiggle room, thank goodness. He got the first row done, then I did the rest. As I got to the other side of the room, I needed his help again, and he finished it out. It really warmed up the room! 
Before the floor, I took an afternoon and wallpapered the one wall. I'm not usually one for accent walls, but feel like this gives the room an old-fashioned look, like I might have found in an upstairs bedroom at my late Aunt Sherry's old farmhouse. This is pre-pasted wallpaper, so I just had to dip it in water, then put it on the wall. 
As far as the basics of room design, before furniture and decorating, I caulked the trim along the upper walls, but have yet to put in baseboards. I also want to paint the closet door and the room door white to match the trim. 
The bed is a queen, a little large for this room, but it's so comfy and roomy, and I love it. The mattress is a hand-me-down, barely used set, the bed rails I purchased from Facebook marketplace for $10, and the headboard was a clearance purchase last summer. The headboard had been in a box in my garage for a year, so I had in my head what I remembered it looking like, which was a tad bit different than reality when we unpacked it this summer. I really like it, but feel it's a bit heavy visually for the look I'd wanted for this room. I have purchased a different one, and will switch it out after my guest leaves, and see which one I like best. I have a feeling I already know... 
The dark headboard was from Walmart online, and this white one is from Overstock, and is currently out of stock. 

The bedding is a few years old, purchased on clearance at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I love matelasse bedding and was thrilled when I found this bedspread and the pillow shams (that are at the back of the pillow pile). Pillows need some work, I know, and there is a plan for some fun ones in here.
The night-stand is one Jess got at a garage sale many years ago. I chalk painted and distressed it before my sister was here for that weekend. 
The plant stand next to it was in pretty bad shape when I got it from a garage sale a few years ago, so it also got a few coats of chalk paint. I'd love a real plant to put on it, so will be on the lookout for that.
The decor piece above the night-stand and plant stand is a crocheted table runner with burlap behind it. I see I need to straighten it in the frame. Some things you just don't notice until you see a photograph...
The little wooden folding chair was from a garage sale as well. The finish was in rough shape, but some Murphy's oil helped a lot. I'd rather not paint this chair.
The piano bench at the end of the bed has been in my garage for probably 10 or more years. It was always my intention to paint it and re-cover the seat to use as a little bench in the living room, but I love it in here. 
I also love this fuzzy rug from Amazon. It adds some softness and fun to the room. 
Curtains are white sheers with a mini-blind under it, like every other room in the house. I love the airy feel of the sheers, and the blind keeps our privacy. 
The opposite wall has a hand-me-down dresser and a small bookshelf, both of which I chalk painted. I'll show those in my next guest room post. 
So that's what I've been working on lately, and was happy to get this much finished before my current house guest arrived. She's been traveling for several weeks, so came with lots of her belongings, as well as two kitty boys, so that room is full up with her stuff right now. I'm so glad we have a space where they can feel comfortable and have some privacy while visiting. 
I have lots more to say about this subject, so we'll talk more in some future posts. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the cooler weather and sunshine outside, the quiet day inside, and will be back to chat in a few days. 
Stay safe - wash your hands - wear a mask!


2 comments:

Thanks for sharing!