Wednesday, August 16, 2017

New...

School started again this morning and Jess and the kids moved out a month ago, so it's time for new routines, new projects, new recipes. I heard last night that the beginning of the school year is considered "Mom's New Year" by many. A chance for a fresh start on homekeeping and family routines, and for myself, a chance to work on some big projects. 
First day of school 2017-2018

I've been keeping house since I was a child. My sister and I learned to cook and clean at a young age, and we had varying routines, but before we got jobs, we were responsible for the housekeeping when Mom was working full-time. Those varying routines have continued throughout my adult life and in my own home, as my family moved through life's stages. I was at the point where I was in kind of in a rut and, truth be told, a bit overwhelmed by having six people living here, with all of the stuff that comes with three kids and three grown-ups. So when I had the opportunity to take an online class about housekeeping routines last Spring, I gave it a shot. Stacy Myers of Humorous Homemaking is a busy wife and mother with four young children. Yet her home is always neat and tidy and, true confession, I was a bit envious. Stacy wrote a course sharing her routines and how she incorporates them into her family's life, and when I had the chance, I jumped right in. It was easy to individualize to fit me and my household, and I loved it. Once school let out, I let those routines go. We were so busy with summer (June just exploded with Layla's hospital stay, Jess travelling for work, library program, Wednesday matinee, etc.) that I didn't make those routines priority. I still followed them somewhat, but not like when I started. I'm eager to get back into them now, and I think they'll "stick" after school is out next summer. Everything is just easier when the house is cleaned up and meals are planned and laundry is done. I'm not seeing the course on the web site currently, but when it's back up I'll do another post about it. So - fresh routines for housework, meal planning, and bill paying.

Now for projects. Oh, are there projects! My head is overflowing with ideas for all of the things I want to do around this house. Prioritization is key, since there are so many things to do, and I want to complete them, not be scattered here and there with loads of half-done ideas waiting for finishing. A written list, breaking down each project into steps will help me, since I'm visual when it comes to organizing my brain. So - lists coming this week. Some of the projects include painting the kitchen cabinets, setting up the craft/art room, setting up a guest room, re-doing the master bedroom, lots of painting of walls of all the rooms, and then some tearing down of walls to open up some spaces. That last one is getting some resistance, so I'll just keep talking about it and making my plans, so when I start ripping off drywall, it won't be a total surprise to him...
Which wall is coming down? (I can't wait!)


There are outside projects as well. First and foremost is taming the jungle that is the backyard. That's going to take a skid loader and will happen after harvest. That space is changing big-time. The front is also a jungle, but I can do that by hand. Eating that elephant one bit at a time. 

I will be working a little more for a few months at least, so that goes into the mix as well. My weekend hours to get things done at home with Greg will be at a premium. I don't like working lots of weekends, but it's necessary for awhile, and I'm happy to help out there so someone can do what they need to do in their life and focus on what is more important right now than my weekends at home. And it truly is more important. 

Oh, and it's time to think about Christmas! I know, I know, but I do think about it year-round, and have several gifts taken care of already. I like to think I can make many gifts, so those ideas are "percolating" as a former co-worker used to say. 

Okay! None of these things is going to get done unless I haul myself up and get to doing them. I have an email friend whose blog name and life philosophy is, "If you do stuff, stuff gets done". I repeat that to myself all. the. time. It's time for me to get started doing stuff today. The boys get out of school early, so I only have a few hours before it's time to hear about their day and see about homework and get snacks. Then it's off to work for a few hours tonight.

Here we go!







1 comment:

  1. Hi Tammy, so nice to see a post from you. I've done my walking and now it's time for me to get some stuff done too,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!