Monday, August 24, 2015

Homemade Granola

After a few years of breakfast sandwiches and burritos from the local fine fast food eateries, Greg has started taking his morning meal with him from home. I flavor plain Greek yogurt with vanilla and honey, then pack a generous serving with a handful of fresh blueberries on top. As garnish, he sprinkles another generous helping of granola on top before enjoying his delicious nutritious breakfast. At first I purchased the granola -  Bear Naked brand because it’s pretty wholesome, and we like it. I bought two bags, thinking it would last through the month. No. Between Greg and Jess, it barely lasted a little over a week. Time to dig out the homemade granola recipe. The ingredients were in the cupboard already, and took less than 30 minutes to assemble, mix, and bake two quart jars full.

granola

The recipe came from an online friend of mine. Melanie blogs at Comfy House and posts lovely healthy, delicious-sounding recipes. I couldn’t find this exact recipe so I could link to it, which makes me wonder if it wasn’t posted in an email instead of on her blog. No matter, she did post a new granola concoction this summer that also would be wonderful. I chose to try the original one printed out quite some time ago and tucked away in my recipe notebook:

Homemade Granola

3 Cups Old-Fashioned Oats

¼ C vegetable oil

¼ C honey

¼ C brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

¼ tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Let cool completely before stirring in 1 cup nuts and 1 cup dried fruits. Store in an airtight container.

 

signature_thumb[2]

5 comments:

  1. John and I were just discussing granola this week. I've NEVER eaten any, gasp! We were talking about trying it and seeing how we liked homemade.
    Love the 'new' fresh on your blog. It's soft and cool looking, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tailor the recipe to your liking, so you should try it! With Fall coming, I think my next batch will be with maple syrup instead of brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon. Yum!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for featuring me and my blog in this post, Tammy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Melanie! Thanks for sharing your yummy recipes!

      Delete
  3. Hi..Love your blog..we always have homemade granola..i can't keep up sometimes..and wow i never knew you could use maple syrup in it..thank you for this..i will try it and pass it by the granola expert in our house..she is 7 and absolutely loves the stuff.
    sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!